Saturday 23 July 2011

ReplayGain Scan Utility for Mac OS X

UPDATE: Now 64-bit, supporting Catalina. See this post for more details.

I like to use volume-adjusted playback on my Squeezebox Touch to make all albums have roughly the same volume level. I'd found a good script to scan all of my FLAC files and tag them with ReplayGain information, but AAC and MP3 files were a bit more of a pain, and scanning of new files was a bit laborious.

I've put together a utility that takes the chore out of all this. Simply drag folders  onto the icon and supported audio files (FLAC, MP3, AAC) are checked, and if there is no (consistent) Album Gain, it will be computed using the standard tools for the job (the official metaflac tool for FLAC files, and aacgain for AAC and MP3 files).

I'v tested this with my music collection of around 24,000 files (which are 75% FLAC, and the rest MP3 or AAC). Everything worked very well... the files that the scanner had problems with turned out to be corrupt in some way. It is not too time-consuming to rescan an already scanned hierarchy either, it just reports the gain and moves on.

Two versions are included: the standard version will skip already scanned files, and the "Full Rescan" version will ignore any previous values and recompute.

Squeezebox Server correctly reads all the gain information, as does my computer player, Clementine. Apple's iTunes has its own scheme, "Soundcheck".


I hope this will be useful to others. It is released under the GNU Public License Version 3. In particular:

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

Latest version:



Old versions:


  •  0.1: Download (Zip archive containing app and instructions)
  •  0.2: Download




15 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! This is incredible. Been looking for an app like this for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent tool! Works like a charm )) Awful icon though :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just what I was looking for, much better than others!!

    Thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm interested in adjusting the reference level for ReplayGain computation; is this supported? If not, can I get the source and add it myself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The underlying tools are metaflac and aacgain... not sure these have flags to set the reference volume. To modify the bash scripts, you can "Show Package Contents" and edit the scripts in Contents/Resources.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Appears to work on OSx 10.8.4 too. Much appreciated! (Was getting tired of using foobar200 within VMware Fusion)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent tool, made my day in adding replay gain tags to my extensive music library, I hope that sometime support for high res files may be added

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any chance for a new version which supports 24 bit / 48 or 96 khz flacs?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, could you please provide working DropBox-Link or use another service? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely brilliant, just what I have been looking for on the Mac. Is there any chance for it to support 24/96 FLAC files.

    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've finally made a new release which supports higher sample rates and bits.

      Delete
  11. Many thanks for this app, all of the music in my collection has been processed by it over the years!

    It appears that the app is 32-bit, and so is no longer supported by macOS Catalina. I hope that you can eventually update it to 64-bit so I can resume my ReplayGain-enhanced goodness!

    ReplyDelete